Are you making the most of your team?
Discover how strategic HR can take your business to the next level
The world is a-changing fast these days, wouldn’t you agree?
Technological developments are moving at a lightning fast pace; economies rise and fall; consumers are becoming increasingly demanding.
Your approach to these changes could be to ignore them; make minor adjustments in your business strategy; or harness them to the max and profit from them.
If you’d like to profit from the fast pace of change, read on…
Let’s assume you’re in business to make money. Then the more money you can make, the happier you will be – as will be everyone else involved (employees, shareholders, your family, and so on).
But profiting from rapidly evolving opportunities means your business has to evolve rapidly as well. In other words, you need to act like the wily fox rather than the slow-moving sloth. Otherwise the opportunity will be gone before you’re even out of the starting blocks.
In order to make changes in a swift and nimble manner, your team needs to be dynamic and flexible. You need to ensure that you have the right people on the right seat and at the right time
How to have the right person in the right seat at the right time
To have the right person in the right seat at the right time, it needs a strategic and dynamic approach to HR and recruitment.
Up till now, personality assessments, such as DISC, have been heavily relied on by businesses to map out teams. These assessments give managers a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the people in their team.
But personality assessments are just a starting point. To really make your team buzz, you need to throw some additional components into the mix – and this is what we call strategic HR at Recruit NZ:
- Clear business strategies: It’s vital that your business has some clear business strategies to work towards. These goals need to be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely), and they also need to be documented so that the goal can be clearly communicated to the entire team.
- Team interviews: As an outsider to your business, Recruit NZ has a clear and objective view of your team members. Based on the interviews, career goals, CVs, personality, likes and dislikes of every team member, we’d assess whether they’re really the right person for the job they’re currently in. We’d use the organisational chart; the Position Description with KPIs; and the Person Specification for the role to consider whether they really are the right person.
- Gap analysis: Once the team interview process has been completed, we will have an objective view of the strengths and weaknesses of your current team. That means we can then work together to identify gaps you need to fill if you are to achieve your business objectives.
- Decision time: You will then need to make some decisions about your team, as this will be central to your business achieving its objectives. Sometimes this may involve hiring a new team member; at other times it may mean an internal restructure.
What if someone is in the wrong seat?
It isn’t unusual for this strategic HR process to reveal that the wrong people are in the wrong jobs. Sometimes this may mean an internal restructure; at other times it may require making a team member redundant.
In order to implement these changes with the minimum of fuss and headaches, it is vital that you have the correct HR documentation in place to begin with.
Whilst it’s never easy to make these kinds of changes, at the end of the day it’s crucial that your business evolves and keeps up with the rapidly changing marketplace. This is imperative if your business is to thrive and survive.
No one ever said it would be easy: however you need to focus on the success of your business, and that really does mean having the right people with you on your journey. Team members that are holding your business back could be jeopardising your company’s continuation. Let’s not go there: let’s aim for a successful and profitable outcome that sees your business outshining its competitors.
Want to know more about using strategic HR in your business?
Contact the friendly team at Recruit NZ to find out more about strategic HR. Just give us a call on 09 280 3977 or email .
Once we know more about your business and its recruitment needs, we’l>l be able to provide you with some indicative pricing to get the strategic HR work underway.
Latest posts by Tanya Gray (see all)
- Temp or Permanent – Recruiting Skilled Migrants in New Zealand - June 11, 2019
- Employer Accreditation through Immigration New Zealand becomes Mandatory in 2020 - June 4, 2019
- Local sourcing of skilled migrants - April 2, 2019